Saturday 29 March 2014

My Week In Books III

So, here we are again, and yet again I'm feeling guilty for not having read enough. There really is absolutely no chance of me getting to read all the books I buy in my lifetime (unless they come up with some sort of elixir of eternal life at a reasonable price, some time soon), but that's ok, it enables me to justify my book buying as a 'collection'....

I've read some more of The Poisoned Island
by Seth Hunter, my go-to ibook in case of no-book emergencies, and I'm still enjoying it. Apologies for the long time it will take for a full review, but it's my fill-in. It will get a full review, in the fullness of time.

I've also started to read my first (I know!!!) Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Mr Quin. Years of loving TV adaptations have made me lazy when it comes Agatha Christie books, but since the recent televisual demise of Hercule Poirot with the airing of the TV version of Curtain, I thought it was time I did the decent thing and actually read some of the books! So far, so good.

Another first this week, as reported earlier on Book Lovers Melbourne are the first off the production line of our new bookmarks! Yes these are a simplistic marketing tool, designed to get more people looking at what we do here, but we make no apology for that, I for one love a bookmark giveaway, I have a box full of them from various sources over the years and they are, after all, part and parcel of book loving ephemera. We'll be giving them out at Clunes Booktown in May, and handing them round our favourite bookshops in Melbourne before then, so keep your eyes open if you want one! If they are a success, who knows what will be next, mugs, t-shirts, pens, tattoos, the possibilities are endless;-)

We've also been doing a  little bit of experimental small-scale, in-expensive advertising via our Facebook page this week to spread the word about our little community, which has been quite successful. So if you're one of our new readers from this particular medium, welcome! Tell us what you think, we're really keen to get feedback, and, of course, we'd love you to tell your friends about us too!

Finally here's a pic of this week's acquisitions for my personal library, most of which came from Already Read an awesome little bookshop in North Fitzroy with a great selection of second-hand books which holds the title of quite possibly the nicest smelling bookshop I've ever been into in my life!! They're the latest addition to our Listings page (or will be when I add them right after writing this blog) so please go along and buy some books, (don't forget to say where you heard about them!).

Until next time, Happy Reading!!

Stevie at B.L.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment