Saturday 12 April 2014

My Week In Books V....

Hello again,

I'd like to start this week by mentioning the sad death of Sue Townsend author of the 1980's Adrian Mole series of books. I thoroughly enjoyed the books in my teenage years and Sue was a great talent
that will be sadly missed.


In other news, I've spent some of this week distributing our bookmarks and cards to some of my favourite bookstores so keep your eyes open for them when you're out and about shopping for your next read!


I've also made some updates to our Bookstore Listings page, with an extra half-dozen stores now listed, including the first store dedicated to kids books, The Little Bookroom, and the first listing of a cookery book store, Books For Cooks. Never let it be said I don't step out of my own favourite fields!


I also took a trip down to Federation Square to visit the weekly book fair there, in the Atrium. It's a great opportunity to fossick through a variety of stalls, all out of the rain! Make sure you visit Andrew & Ludmila Barnes' stall for a great selection of books and a very friendly chat!



Of course, there have been some new additions to my personal library this week, including this little lot above, and a trio of Graham Greene novels from Andrew and Ludmila mentioned above, on Andrew's personal recommendation. In fact Andrew declared Greene to be, in his opinion the most underrated writer of the 20th century! So I've now got Penguin editions of The Human Factor, England Made Me and The Third Man/The Fallen Idol, to work through.
Finally, for reading matter this week, I've finished my 'emergency iBook', The Poisoned Island, and my first ever Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Mr Quin, both of which I'll review as soon as I can for you. I've replaced them with The Mysterious Affair At Styles, my second Christie, and Claud Cockburn's The Devil's Decade

That's it for this week, happy reading!

Stevie at B.L.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment