Monday 4 May 2015

Book Review: A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway....

A Moveable Feast (1964)
Published by: Scribner
Author: Ernest Hemingway
Acquired fromShakespeare And Company Paris
BLM Rating 10 / 10

As you may remember from this earlier post, my BLM colleague, Baju, recently returned from a trip to Paris, where, I'm pleased to say, she kindly bought me a gift. No big surprise it was a book, and very appropriately, from my favourite bookshop in the world, (and now hers) Shakespeare & Company.

Even more appropriate was the book itself, Hemingway's Moveable Feast. You might be surprised to find out I've never read any Hemingway! Well, this was the place to start without a doubt!



A lover of Paris and a lover of literature can't fail to fall for this book. It instantly transports the reader to Paris in the 20's, a world of Gertrude Stein and the Fitzgeralds, Ezra Pound and Ford Madox Ford. 




There's little wonder Woody Allen tried to represent just such a journey in his 2011 movie Midnight In Paris it's worth a look for sure, but Hemingway's final, posthumously released work does a far better job.



In summary, and in a pathetic attempt to mimic Hemingway's own style...

An author of renown wrote his final book. It was good. My friend bought it for me in Paris, to make me think of Paris.
It did. I am grateful.

Stevie at BLM

No comments:

Post a Comment