Tuesday 16 June 2015

49 For Me..111 For Leopold.....

Today is my birthday, forty nine years and counting. Now the mathematically talented among you might be able to work out from that information that I was born on 16th day of the 6th month 1966... Guess what I think my lucky numbers are?....

But it doesn't end there... Today, as many of you will be aware, is the 111th anniversary of Bloomsday, the day when the world, and Dublin in particular, salutes the literary genius of James Joyce. First published in 1922, (by Shakespeare & Company Paris) Ulysses takes place through the day of June 16th 1904, in Dublin. The name derives from the book's main protagonist, Leopold Bloom.


Ulysses, is considered to be the greatest novel of the 20th century in some quarters, for many others it's a journey they failed to finish. 



For some it is a book that sits on one's bookshelf, not to be read, but to act as a beacon to visitors, speaking to the supposed erudition of the homeowner. Whilst this might not seem a particularly noble use for any book, Ulysses did actually set a precedent in this regard, insomuch as in it's early days it was often displayed on bookshelves openly by those wishing to protest its banning in many countries.   As much a symbol of solidarity with the freedom of expression and art as a choice of reading material.

So, back to me... well it's my birthday... What does a book lover do on his birthday? You guessed it... I spent my day in a few of Melbourne's great independent bookshops! 

I picked up a couple of gems from one of my long time favourite venues, Grub St Bookshop on Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, and discovered from proprietor, Justin, that the business is up for sale!! Fear not book lovers, the intention is to sell as a going concern, so if any of you out there fancy becoming the proprietor of one of Melbourne's most iconic book stores, now's your chance! 

I also visited another favourite, Alice's Bookshop in Rathdowne Street North Carlton. There is change afoot here too, as the business has recently changed hands but is still one of the best second-hand bookstores in the city.

Next up was a new discovery for me, (I know, I'm still coming across bookstores in this city I didn't know existed!) Red Wheelbarrow Books on Lygon Street Brunswick. Proprietor Paul not only has a great selection of second-hand books, he also has his own live-in novelist in the form of his wife, Catherine De Saint Phalle, who will be launching her novel On Brunswick Ground on Thursday 2nd July at the store. 

Finally I made a visit to Brown & Bunting Booksellers on High Street Northcote, I managed to limit myself to just four books there...


So... back to the numbers thing, my D.O.B is 16/6/66, Im 49 today, Bloomsday is (technically) 111 today, 49+111=160, I bought 16 books today, and I promise I hadn't counted until I got home.... I'm a cynic about almost everything by nature... but these numbers sure to get spooky sometimes;-)

Happy reading
Stevie at BLM

No comments:

Post a Comment