Monday 28 December 2015

Finally Catching The Last Bus To Woodstock...

Like, I'm sure, many of you, I've been a big fan of Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse, and it's spin-offs on TV over the last thirty or so years.




Well I've finally got around to actually doing the decent thing for a book lover and delving into the novels upon which the TV series was based. I bought the boxed set of 'Morse' novels, published by Pan, during my UK trip earlier this year, and having recently run out of my favourite detective fiction... decided to give this a go.

I have to say I've ploughed through 'Last Bus To Woodstock', the first in the Morse series, in less than two days. Always a good sign. The writing of Mr Dexter allows reading to flow very easily. It is uncomplicated yet descriptive, erudite yet not elaborate. 

As to the story itself, aside from a slight personal discomfort in the way the issue of a rape is addressed, (this was written in 1975, whether we like it or not, sensibilities were different then) it is a throughly gripping story with, of course the required twist in the tail. 

I'd definitely recommend giving it a go!

Stevie at BLM

No comments:

Post a Comment